Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I Watched TV today


I wanted to see how the other half lived (or the other 99.5% lived.) The noise and light instantly assaulted my senses and I had to turn it off for a few minutes before I could make another run at it.

Those first peaceful moments of the day are holy . . . evidently. I like the quiet; I enjoy my thoughts. I like the sounds of my environment, urban, rural, mountain, school, playground; they are all real. All sounds naturally generated by the place are appropriate and fulfilling. I like engaging people, I don't like people squawking at me on a box. Like bizarre Japanese food, at least I can say "I tried it."

I crossed paths with Jerry Mander a few years ago. Literally, I walked perpendicular across his path several times over the course of the day. Though not directly involved with sustainability, he is very well known in the environmental circles. I'm not quite sure why he was at The Land Institute in Salina Kansas, but he was. He has a lot to say about TV and is quoted here: http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/healtheducation/addiction/addiction.html

I do watch DVDs, YouTube comics, and Ted.com 15-minute talks so I'm not media-deprived but mass market television is a whole other drug.

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity."
- Ellen Parr
(Thank God. - Jane)

No comments:

Post a Comment